Founder To Founder
Collective was pleased to welcome our long time MediaTech ally and tech-mate, David Lawson to our roster of teachers. With three and a half years at Insperity, and previous startup founder experience at Lawson Home Technologies – working in the home automation space and smart home services like Control4 and Apple Home Suite – David has come to understand the essentials to creating a successful startup.
Building a Strategic Team
In our third week, Collective’s class about building a team for a startup, David focused on how business leaders create and scale a strategic team plan to attract investment. Here are a few key take-a-ways from the class:
- Business challenges have HR solutions – It’s all about the people.
- People implement your policies.
- The goal of the “Business Leader” is to have that strategic vision and hire the right people to execute upon that vision.
- Achieving Viability – Be Entrepreneurial. You’re a ‘family’.
- Administrative Infrastructure – Gaining your talent advantage. Why would people want to come work for you? What is your roadmap through emerging growth?
- Culture by Design – Not by Default. It’s all about risk mitigation and the people who handle it.
- Investors are looking at your team. Not your idea. How cohesive are you and whether you have the right plans in place.
- Your IP is paramount to the success of your business, intellectual property is about your culture, not the idea.